The Pure graphite rings
The DLC (Diamond Like Carbon) graphite ring supplements and improves the use of the pure graphite ring, the well-tried solution in the sealing area that has been used for years. KLINGER Bartsch points out new advantages and possible uses.
The proven solution for sealing: THE PURE GRAPHITE RINGS
The pure graphite ring is a years-long, well proven solution for sealing. And because of its outstanding properties, it can be used in a wide spectrum. But the solution not only harbours advantages.
Advantages of the pure graphite rings
- Seal for difficult media in challenging environments
- Outstanding sealing properties
- Durability in a wide variety of media
- Suited for high pressure applications
Disadvantages of the pure graphite rings
- Stick-slip effect, adherence of graphite/carbon to steel/stainless steel
- Mechanical removal of adhered material leads to damage
Our customers asked us to offer a product that can be used as an all-rounder for every type of media. We used knowledge from the DLC process after a variety of trials and solution approaches in order to minimise the negative aspects.
The solutions from the field
of DLC surface technology
- DLC (Diamond Like Carbon)
- Surface coating with carbon
- Result: reduction of friction, long surface coating lifetime
This process from surface technology was proven to be optimally applicable and has been tested under long-term real conditions and found to be feasible. By coating the seals with carbon, adherence to a variety of materials has been prevented. Now we are able to offer a proposed solution that allows a combination with different materials.
15-month long-term trial – KLINGER Bartsch GmbH
- Coating of graphite gaskets and pure graphite rings with DLC
- Long-term test under high pressure using a retrofit fixture
- Test process / time period: July, 2019 – October 2020
- Result: also after a long pressure loading there was no Stick-Slip effect.
If you’re interested, you may download the results and the trial process at www.klinger-bartsch.de or request more information by telephone or email.
“Diamond Like Carbon”, also known as DLC for short, is a surface coating based on a multi-stage high-tech process that measures just a few micrometers. In the process, the surface is vaporized with a diamond-like carbon in order to produce an incomparable surface hardness and a deep black appearance